Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Getting out of our box as an artist!

Today I just read "New Venues to Sell Your Art" by Lori Woodward Simons in an e-mail from Fine Art Views of Clint Watson. It was a dynamic piece you can find it at www.fineartviews.com. It has in it so many different ideas on how to bring us as artist out of our selling box. It reminds me that there is more to selling our art than just a gallery. Galleries are the best but there can be and is more. We need to be able to see that we can reach beyond our box and be creative and sell in other locations.

I have a one person show starting Easter Sunday at Episcopal Redeemer Church here in Mobile, Alabama. It runs until Mother's Day. I am so excited to be doing this and the closer it gets the more excited I am. It is shows like this which can get us out there as artists. It can bring us closer to what we really love to do. It is so helpful as an artist to be there with people to see and talk about our work.

Painting the Oil Paintings a Day has also improved my work. I am forcing myself to go from start to finish on a piece. What a great thing to do for making a painting work. It is spreading me and making me dig deeper.

On breaking out of the box idea I had about a month ago found Wikipedia and decided that I could be included. Well that was not true because there were some fine print about not writing about self in that (oops). Artists beware take my experience and try something else. That all said and done doing a page on Wikipedia made me really think about how am I as an artist and what have I done as an artist. It made me get out of my box and see things in a different light. What a great growth experience it has been.

On selling on eBay that has made me grow stronger also. I am learning the ways of eBay and loving to watch how it works. It is a great market in itself. I am still learning and will be for some time. I am enjoying working and spending time on this new found platform. We will see how the eBay works for me and how they like my art. It is different than anything I have seen on there so far.

So I head off to my studio with this in mind... It is time to get out of the box and try new ideas, new areas to sell my work, and it is spring! It is time to refresh, renew and Easter is almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment