Wednesday, May 6, 2009

round 1: humidity verses an oil painter artist! Who will win???

There are many days as an artist it feels like the humidity is against everything I try to do. The high humidity levels can alter how long it takes to paint a painting. In the case where I paint 10-20 layers of paint on a painting and let each layer dry that is a battle in itself. In the case where I am painting an oil painting a day for that painting to dry to be able to post on eBay is a battle. How can I win this battle? I am not sure.

The humidity can really take a painting forever to dry. When it is super humid I mean FOREVER!!!!!

I had one person at an art show say that I needed a dehumidifier. Super idea but it does not work as well as the theory. I have tried it. A dehumidifier can only go so far. For the most part AC does exactly the same thing in terms of dehumidifying as an actual dehumidifier does. When the air is humid is it tough to get these oils to dry no matter what we do as artists. I have fans on my wet work 24 hours a day. I have added heat and more air. I have put them in as dry of rooms as exist but the humidity still is against me.

So where does this take us? When the air is dry it is our friend and when the super soggy moisture comes up from the Gulf we really take a hit. For this round I think the humidity gets a point and the artist has to take one for the team. I guess we just have to wait for the paintings to dry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment