Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Round 4: The Technical Art to Mailing Artwork the right way....

Today I wanted to post about "The Technical Art to Mailing Artwork the right way." This blog is what goes into mailing artwork so that the painting arrives in the best possible condition to you!

I have found a simple but effective solution to sending my paintings in the mail. Keep in mind that I do paint my oils on both canvas on stretchers and canvas on board. My method for prepairing artwork to be shipped is the same for both types of painting surfaces. For more about the differences of canvas on stretchers or canvas on board read below "Round 2".

The paintings are first wrapped in a plastic bag to protect them from shifting, rubbing and so on. (The plastic bag needs to be taken off ASAP when the painting arrives so the painting can breath. So please remember to unpack the artwork as soon as you receive your box.)

The painting then has four corners which I wrap in cardboard corner shields over the plastic bags. This protects the paint and the corners of the painting. The corners only are held on well when I wrap them with plastic movers wrap. A piece of cardboard is then placed on the front of the painting and (most of the time) on the back of the painting. This is then wrapped with the plastic movers wrap.

Voila! The painting is now ready for the box. This box needs to be larger than the painting and once the painting is inside the box padding such as popcorn (shipping popcorn not eating popcorn), newsprint, plastic or tissue paper is stuffed along side so the painting does not shift.

The box is then taped up after the invoice goes in. I always put an invoice into the box so that anyone can see where the package was supposed to go in case it does not make it there on the label on the outside. I then place the packing label on the outside and then the box and painting are ready to come to you!

By taking extra time and care with your painting I make sure it arrives to you in tip top shape. The shipping of art can really damage a great painting so it is extra important for me to send it the right way!

Take time to check out my website at www.kentee.com or my store at www.store.kentee.com. If you have any questions be sure to ask and I will help answer them! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment